North Shore Animal League America offers some prudent tips for Halloween night.
1. Make sure your pets have on identification at all times. With that front door continuously opening and closing for trick-or-treaters, there is a chance they could run out — especially if they’re spooked. Give your pets a quiet, safe place on Halloween. Scary parties, constant doorbell ringing, or too many strangers in your home can be stressful to your four-legged friends and even make them physically ill.
2. Halloween candy and wrappers should be kept out of your pets’ reach. Chocolate can be toxic to animals, and many sugar-free candy, gum, and baked products today contain xylitol, a sweetener that is toxic to dogs. Tin foil, cellophane, plastic candy wrappers, and party supplies can be hazardous if swallowed.
3. Keep lighted pumpkins out of your pet’s reach, as well as all electrical cords and wires. They can be harmful and even deadly to your pets should they chew on or ingest them.
4. Keep your pets inside so that they will not be the target of pranksters who might tease, injure, or even harm pets on this night. Along those same lines, never take your dog trick-or-treating. Dogs may become excited and uncontrollable, and if frightened may bite.